Sunday, March 4, 2012

The white city

We visited Chicago on our way to Iowa and on our way back but for blog purposes I have combined the two trips! Our hotel was located just off the 'magnificent mile' which is famous for the amazing architecture you see there. I'm warning you we took a lot of pictures of buildings!





A larger than life Marilyn......


Millennium park is along this route and hosts the 'Bean' which is a sculpture we had been looking forward to seeing. It didn't disappoint and on a fantastically sunny day the reflection of the buildings was amazing.


We used the 'EL' to get around (elevated transport system).


We ventured up the Willis tower (used to be sears and the tallest building in the world till China trumped it). View from above....


And if the heights weren't already scary enough at the top they have a glass floor viewing station....


Goodness knows what came over me but I managed to drag myself on for about half a second whilst Stevie took a VERY quick snap.


Back to Chicago with Laura and Dennis. After a spot of shopping Dennis discovered green is really the colour for him....


We got to drive past million pound houses on lake Michigan, I made sure Stevie knew which ones I liked.......


We stopped by an unusual church


We headed for the science and industry museum in Jackson Park. This is where the first ever worlds fair was held and having just read 'devil in the white city' (a true story about a serial killer on the loose during the first worlds fair, soon to be made into a movie) I was dying to see the place where it happened. The museum is inside the only remaining building from the worlds fair. We learnt about tornados.....


And space....


And trains.....


We saw a baby chick that had just hatched


And I got my history fix when we got outside to see the lasting building of the worlds fair..... Seriously you should read the book it's very good!


So far Chicago is definitely one of my favorite cities :)

Location:Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment